There are 80 in this list and there were about 70 prior to 1941.
- WORLD WAR II 1941-45 Naval, troops, bombing, nuclear Hawaii bombed, fought Japan, Italy and Germay for 3 years; first nuclear war.
- IRAN 1946 Nuclear threat Soviet troops told to leave north.
- YUGOSLAVIA 1946 Nuclear threat, naval Response to shoot-down of US plane.
- URUGUAY 1947 Nuclear threat Bombers deployed as show of strength.
- GREECE 1947-49 Command operation U.S. directs extreme-right in civil war.
- GERMANY 1948 Nuclear Threat Atomic-capable bombers guard Berlin Airlift.
- CHINA 1948-49 Troops/Marines evacuate Americans before Communist victory.
- PHILIPPINES 1948-54 Command operation CIA directs war against Huk Rebellion.
- PUERTO RICO 1950 Command operation Independence rebellion crushed in Ponce.
- KOREA 1951-53 (-?) Troops, naval, bombing , nuclear threats U.S./So. Korea fights China/No. Korea to stalemate; A-bomb threat in 1950, and against China in 1953. Still have bases.
- IRAN 1953 Command Operation CIA overthrows democracy, installs Shah.
- VIETNAM 1954 Nuclear threat French offered bombs to use against seige.
- GUATEMALA 1954 Command operation, bombing, nuclear threat CIA directs exile invasion after new gov’t nationalized U.S. company lands; bombers based in Nicaragua.
- EGYPT 1956 Nuclear threat, troops Soviets told to keep out of Suez crisis; Marines evacuate foreigners.
- LEBANON l958 Troops, naval Marine occupation against rebels.
- IRAQ 1958 Nuclear threat Iraq warned against invading Kuwait.
- CHINA l958 Nuclear threat China told not to move on Taiwan isles.
- PANAMA 1958 Troops Flag protests erupt into confrontation.
- VIETNAM l960-75 Troops, naval, bombing, nuclear threats Fought South Vietnam revolt & North Vietnam; one million killed in longest U.S. war; atomic bomb threats in l968 and l969.
- CUBA l961 Command operation CIA-directed exile invasion fails.
- GERMANY l961 Nuclear threat Alert during Berlin Wall crisis.
- LAOS 1962 Command operation Military buildup during guerrilla war.
- CUBA l962 Nuclear threat, naval Blockade during missile crisis; near-war with Soviet Union.
- IRAQ 1963 Command operation CIA organizes coup that killed president, brings Ba’ath Party to power, and Saddam Hussein back from exile to be head of the secret service.
- PANAMA l964 Troops Panamanians shot for urging canal’s return.
- INDONESIA l965 Command operation Million killed in CIA-assisted army coup.
- DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 1965-66 Troops, bombing Marines land during election campaign.
- GUATEMALA l966-67 Command operation Green Berets intervene against rebels.
- CAMBODIA l969-75 Bombing, troops, naval Up to 2 million killed in decade of bombing, starvation, and political chaos.
- OMAN l970 Command operation U.S. directs Iranian marine invasion.
- LAOS l971-73 Command operation, bombing U.S. directs South Vietnamese invasion; “carpet-bombs” countryside.
- MIDEAST 1973 Nuclear threat World-wide alert during Mideast War.
- CHILE 1973 Command operation CIA-backed coup ousts elected marxist president.
- CAMBODIA l975 Troops, bombing Gas captured ship, 28 die in copter crash.
- ANGOLA l976-92 Command operation CIA assists South African-backed rebels.
- IRAN l980 Troops, nuclear threat, aborted bombing Raid to rescue Embassy hostages; 8 troops die in copter-plane crash. Soviets warned not to get involved in revolution.
- LIBYA l981 Naval jets Two Libyan jets shot down in maneuvers.
- EL SALVADOR l981-92 Command operation, troops Advisors, overflights aid anti-rebel war, soldiers briefly involved in hostage clash.
- NICARAGUA l981-90 Command operation, naval CIA directs exile (Contra) invasions, plants harbor mines against revolution.
- LEBANON l982-84 Naval, bombing, troops Marines expel PLO and back Phalangists, Navy bombs and shells Muslim positions.
- GRENADA l983-84 Troops, bombing Invasion four years after revolution.
- HONDURAS l983-89 Troops Maneuvers help build bases near borders.
- IRAN l984 Jets Two Iranian jets shot down over Persian Gulf.
- LIBYA l986 Bombing, naval Air strikes to topple nationalist gov’t.
- BOLIVIA 1986 Troops Army assists raids on cocaine region.
- IRAN l987-88 Naval, bombing US intervenes on side of Iraq in war.
- LIBYA 1989 Naval jets Two Libyan jets shot down.
- VIRGIN ISLANDS 1989 Troops St. Croix Black unrest after storm.
- PHILIPPINES 1989 Jets Air cover provided for government against coup.
- PANAMA 1989 (-?) Troops, bombing Nationalist government ousted by 27,000 soldiers, leaders arrested, 2000+ killed.
- LIBERIA 1990 Troops Foreigners evacuated during civil war.
- SAUDI ARABIA 1990-91 Troops, jets Iraq countered after invading Kuwait. 540,000 troops also stationed in Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, Israel.
- IRAQ 1990-91 Bombing, troops, naval Blockade of Iraqi and Jordanian ports, air strikes; 200,000+ killed in invasion of Iraq and Kuwait; large-scale destruction of Iraqi military.
- KUWAIT 1991 Naval, bombing, troops Kuwait royal family returned to throne.
- IRAQ 1991-2003 Bombing, naval No-fly zone over Kurdish north, Shiite south; constant air strikes and naval-enforced economic sanctions
- SOMALIA 1992-94 Troops, naval, bombing U.S.-led United Nations occupation during civil war; raids against one Mogadishu faction.
- YUGOSLAVIA 1992-94 Naval NATO blockade of Serbia and Montenegro.
- BOSNIA 1993-? Jets, bombing No-fly zone patrolled in civil war; downed jets, bombed Serbs.
- HAITI 1994 Troops, naval Blockade against military government; troops restore President Aristide to office three years after coup.
- ZAIRE (CONGO) 1996-97 Troops Marines at Rwandan Hutu refugee camps, in area where Congo revolution begins.
- LIBERIA 1997 Troops Soldiers under fire during evacuation of foreigners.
- ALBANIA 1997 Troops Soldiers under fire during evacuation of foreigners.
- SUDAN 1998 Missiles Attack on pharmaceutical plant alleged to be “terrorist” nerve gas plant.
- AFGHANISTAN 1998 Missiles Attack on former CIA training camps used by Islamic fundamentalist groups alleged to have attacked embassies.
- IRAQ 1998 Bombing, Missiles Four days of intensive air strikes after weapons inspectors allege Iraqi obstructions.
- YUGOSLAVIA 1999 Bombing, Missiles Heavy NATO air strikes after Serbia declines to withdraw from Kosovo. NATO occupation of Kosovo.
- YEMEN 2000 Naval USS Cole, docked in Aden, bombed.
- MACEDONIA 2001 Troops NATO forces deployed to move and disarm Albanian rebels.
- AFGHANISTAN 2001-? Troops, bombing, missiles Massive U.S. mobilization to overthrow Taliban, hunt Al Qaeda fighters, install Karzai regime, and battle Taliban insurgency. More than 30,000 U.S. troops and numerous private security contractors carry our occupation.
- YEMEN 2002 Missiles Predator drone missile attack on Al Qaeda, including a US citizen.
- PHILIPPINES 2002-? Troops, naval Training mission for Philippine military fighting Abu Sayyaf rebels evolves into combat missions in Sulu Archipelago, west of Mindanao.
- COLOMBIA 2003-? Troops US special forces sent to rebel zone to back up Colombian military protecting oil pipeline.
- IRAQ 2003-? Troops, naval, bombing, missiles Saddam regime toppled in Baghdad. More than 250,000 U.S. personnel participate in invasion. US and UK forces occupy country and battle Sunni and Shi’ite insurgencies. More than 160,000 troops and numerous private contractors carry out occupation and build large permanent bases.
- LIBERIA 2003 Troops Brief involvement in peacekeeping force as rebels drove out leader.
- HAITI 2004-05 Troops, naval Marines land after right-wing rebels oust elected President Aristide, who was advised to leave by Washington.
- PAKISTAN 2005-? Missiles, bombing, covert operation CIA missile and air strikes and Special Forces raids on alleged Al Qaeda and Taliban refuge villages kill multiple civilians. Drone attacks also on Pakistani Mehsud network.
- SOMALIA 2006-? Missiles, naval, troops, command operation Special Forces advise Ethiopian invasion that topples Islamist government; AC-130 strikes, Cruise missile attacks and helicopter raids against Islamist rebels; naval blockade against “pirates” and insurgents.
- SYRIA 2008 Troops Special Forces in helicopter raid 5 miles from Iraq kill 8 Syrian civilians
- YEMEN 2009-? Missiles, command operation Cruise missile attack on Al Qaeda kills 49 civilians; Yemeni military assaults on rebels
- LIBYA 2011-? Bombing, missiles, command operation NATO coordinates air strikes and missile attacks against Qaddafi government during uprising by rebel army.
Nice to know we keep our boys busy! We spend enough.
It’s all to keep us free, so we can close schools and cut police.
Pingback: Destructive capability is no substitute for freedom – Paul |
I think its fair to say that our lives and well being are more secure and better for our ability to protect our interests beyond our shores, but when you look at the number of times we intervene overseas!!! It’s amazing. I wonder how many covert operations there might be that aren’t delineated here.
You could likely include killing Bin Ladin in this list, no?
It’s a wonder we haven’t had more terrorist attacks.
I’m sure there are plenty more, but hte most consequential covert op in our recent history is in this list – 1953 in Iran.
Well Moe, when wondering what the government may done I don’t know about I have my tinfoil hat on.
Yeah, bruce, sometimes it is easier to blame our tin foil hats. 🙂
There’s a pingback here from Zero-gov site – interesting place indeed. I’ve tried to comment over there but I can’t ‘login’ which is required. What’s odd is the login is WordPress and still it won’t recognize me. Well, Bill, if you see this comment: I’m glad the pingback brought me to your place and I’d love to comment if there’s away.
Pingback: Zero Gov - Anti-Government, Pro-Liberty » Blog Archive » The War is Coming Home by Bill Buppert
time to come home and take care of our people and our country. We drop a trillion each year on military, nsa, cia, fbi, army intel, navy intel, covert ops, nukes. If we tended to our own business we could have rebuilt all of our infrastructure, schools transportation systems, and had money left over.
when are the people going to wake up.
Hi lou – welcome. Agree entirely with your point but I do despair when I ask myself the question you ask “when are we going to wake up”.
It sure looks like the answer is right there in our history: never. And yea, with the dozens – at least – of intelligence agencies working under black budgets, what the people want isn’t going to matter much even if we do wake up.
Now I’m seriously depressed!
Pingback: ZeroGov | The War is Coming Home by Bill Buppert