We have a political aristocracy in America that is increasingly becoming hereditary as well. We scold Syria and belly laugh over North Korea, but we’re in the game too (this is my own very incomplete list, but check out Oligarch Kings for more on the subject).
- Senator Prescott Bush
- his son, Congressman and President GHW Bush
- his son, Governor and President GW Bush
- his brother, Governor Jeb Bush
- Governor and President Bill Clinton
- his wife, Senator and Sect’y of State Hillary Clinton
- Governor and Presidential candidate George Romney
- his son, Governor and Presidential candidate Mitt Romney
- Congressman and perennial Presidential candidate Ron Paul
- his son, Senator Rand Paul
- US Ambassador to England, Joseph P. Kennedy
- his son, Senator and President John F. Kennedy
- his brother, Attorney General and Senator and Presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy
- his brother, Senator Ted Kennedy
- his son, Congressman Patrick Kennedy
- assorted other Kennedys in State offices
- NY Governor Mario Cuomo
- his son, NY Governor Andrew Cuomo (married ot RFK’s daughter)
- California Governor Pat Brown
- his son, 2-time California Governor Jerry Brown
(Of course, there were the Adamses, father and son, in the early 1800’s and the 20th Century Roosevelts – although their relationship was very distant.)
So, who am I missing?
The Chaplin adds two more 19th century names:
- President William Henry Harrison
- his grandson, President Benjamin Harrison
One of the most interesting things about these people is that many of them are interrelated, i.e., one family to another.
Posted in Civics, Government, History, Plutocrats, Politics
Tagged American history, aristocracy, elections, oligarchs, plutocrats, Politics, royalty
One down – far too many to go. Story here.
Posted in corporate power, corruption, Current Events, economy, good news, Occupy Wall Street, Plutocrats
Tagged corporatism, corruption, economy, justice, oligarchs, OWS
Bloomberg just published a bombshell story about the Kochs and Koch Industries and how they do business – apparently, they do it their own way and the law be damned. It’s a lengthy story and it confirms that these enormously rich and very secretive brothers really do see themselves as sovereigns, occupying a higher plane than mere mortals. With all this criminality, I don’t know how they ever found the time to hire Dick Armey so he could create FreedomWorks, the group that stands behind the Tea Party. (These guys work ‘freedom’ into everything. They need some new writers.)
A Bloomberg Markets investigation has found that Koch Industries — in addition to being involved in improper payments to win business in Africa, India and the Middle East — has sold millions of dollars of petrochemical equipment to Iran, a country the U.S. identifies as a sponsor of global terrorism . . . [Moe asks: Remember when Halliburton did that?]
Internal company documents show that the company made those sales through foreign subsidiaries, thwarting a U.S. trade ban. Koch Industries units have also rigged prices with competitors, lied to regulators and repeatedly run afoul of environmental regulations, resulting in five criminal convictions since 1999 in the U.S. and Canada.
. . . . In December 1999, a civil jury found that Koch Industries had taken oil it didn’t pay for from federal land by mis-measuring the amount of crude it was extracting. . .
Phil Dubose, a Koch employee who testified against the company said he and his colleagues were shown by their managers how to steal and cheat — using techniques they called the Koch Method.
Posted in Civics, corporate power, corruption, energy, Plutocrats, Politics
Tagged corporatism, Freedom Works, Koch brothers, Koch Industries, Media, oligarchs