The chief (singularly cheerless) cheerleader – after FOX News of course – of the Benghazi non-scandal, Rep. Darryl Issa, chair of the House Oversight Committee, has a working thesis: “scandals, scandals, it’s all scandals, and cover ups too!”. Having still failed to uncover any actual wrong-doing, he’s now subpoenaed Ambassador Thomas Pickering to testify about why Pickering didn’t interview Hillary Clinton for his investigation (the official one).
Pickering has said before that he would testify before Issa’s panel about last year’s Accountability Review Board report on the attack . . . Pickering and Mullen [Admiral Mike Mullen, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Pickering’s co-chair] have refused, however, to submit to a transcribed interview with Issa and his staff, calling the closed-door proceeding an “inappropriate precondition” to their testimony.
“Your refusal to allow staff investigators to interview you is inconsistent with your commitment to be ‘tough and transparent’,” Issa wrote to Pickering. “In light of your continuing refusal to appear voluntarily for a transcribed interview … I have found it necessary to issue a subpoena to compel your appearance at a deposition.”
Lovely. Rep. Elijah Cummings put it clearly:
. . . the Chairman is now accusing Admiral Mullen, the former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Ambassador Pickering, a seven-time U.S. ambassador, of being complicit in a cover-up.”
Issa did not subpoena Mullen.
H/T to Susie for this.
Miss Graham’s dream of advancing to chief scold are foiled again, as current and senior scold Sen. John McCain abandons Arizona altogether and takes up permanent residence on the floor of the US Senate.
Until now, US Rep Darryl Issa been merely been a stupid congress critter. An irritation. Until now:
House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa(R-CA) compromised the identities of several Libyans working with the U.S. government and placed their lives in danger when he released reams of State Department communications Friday, according to Obama administration officials.
Issa posted 166 pages of sensitive but unclassified State Department communications related to Libya on the committee’s website afternoon as part of his effort to investigate security failures and expose contradictions in the administration’s statements regarding the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi . . .
. . . But Issa didn’t bother to redact the names of Libyan civilians and local leaders mentioned in the cables, and just as with the WikiLeaks dump of State Department cables last year, the administration says that Issa has done damage to U.S. efforts to work with those Libyans and exposed them to physical danger from the very groups that had an interest in attacking the U.S. consulate.
Troll caution: Assange/Issa not equivalent. Assange not a US Congressman.
This is my favorite part:
[Foreign Policy Magazine] pointed out that even WikiLeaks had approached the State Department and offered to negotiate retractions of sensitive information before releasing their cables. [Committee Spokesman Frederick] Hill confirmed that Issa did not grant the State Department that opportunity but said it was the State Department’s fault for not releasing the documents when they were first requested.
Dear Mr. President:
Tonight, when you are challenged on Benghazi (you do know that that one is coming, right?) I think (and isn’t that what matters here?) that you must 1) correct one by one the points of misinformation that people have already absorbed, 2) follow with a policy statement about Libya and the region, and 3) own up to some part of it. Any part.
Also, Moe thinks it essential that throughout those remarks, viewers see and hear a President of the nation that was attacked, not a candidate who himself is under attack.
Oh, and don’t get defensive. Please don’t do that.