She says she won’t be retiring during Obama’s term. Her call, but . . . look at the ages in the chart below . . . in 2017, four justices will be 80 or over (okay, Breyer will be only 79). I think that makes 2016 the most significant presidential election in decades. Whichever party wins could have the opportunity to replace four of Justices, especially if it’s an 8-year term. Perhaps five; Thomas will be 75 in ’21.
Right now, the Court is lopsided enough with six Catholics and three Jews. And three of them come from New York City – not just the State, the City – and two are from Trenton NJ in the same metro area.
- Kagan is from NY, NY (Manhattan)
- Sotomayor is from the Bronx NY
- Ginsberg from Brooklyn NY
- Scalia AND Alito from Trenton NJ
- and even though it’s not quite the same, Roberts is from Buffalo NY