POSTED BY ORHAN
The most controversial parts of Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker’s Budget Repair Bill are in the section “State and Local Government and School District Labor Relations” that covers limits to collective bargaining by public employees. Some of the important points:
- Many public employees will lose all rights to collectively negotiate better contracts.
- For public unions that can still negotiate better contracts, the best they’ll be able to do is fight to keep wages even with inflation – it will be illegal to address any other grievance.
- Public union members who participate in an organized action to stop or slow work (e.g., strike) can be fired – the unions’ main bargaining chip will be swept off the table.
- Even if a public union manages to negotiate a favorable contract, it can’t last more than a year.
- Public unions will be forced to hold yearly elections just to maintain their own existence.
Now if that isn’t union-busting, I don’t know what is.